Please wear snug-fitting clothing that covers your midsection and all the way down your leg. Thick tights are better than loose-fitting yoga pants. Wide-legged pants are likely to get in your way. Make sure your shirt fits snugly enough that it will stay in place when you invert. Layers are useful and sometimes you will want a shirt with sleeves to protect your arms/armpits, but often you can get away with a tank top. Cotton is better than nylon. Neoprene ankle wraps
can also come in handy for protection.
Make sure your clothing has no zippers, belts, studs, or anything else that could catch on the equipment. We will ask you to remove all watches, rings, large earrings, etc, so you might want to leave your valuables in the car or at home to make sure you don’t leave things at the studio.
Please avoid using lotions, oils, or heavy perfumes before coming to the studio. Your skin should be clean and dry, both for your own safety and to keep the equipment as clean as possible for others. Do use deodorant.
The main thing you need is a water bottle. We provide filtered water but encourage the use of reusable bottles so please bring your own, preferably with your name on it. We also sell stainless steel bottles for $15 and will make a label for you!
If you tend to perspire, please bring a hand towel so that you can mop yourself off as needed.
A notebook or camera can be useful for recording what you learn in class.
Versatile Arts now offers a limited number of afternoon classes for children aged 11-17 in our downstairs studio. Private instruction can be arranged for mature teens who are serious about their aerial training.
We highly recommend SANCA (the School for Acrobatics and New Circus Arts) in Georgetown for younger children’s circus classes. They have an extensive program and excellent instructors.
The best way to get strong enough to do aerial work is to do aerial work!
Other things you can do to build upper body and core strength include: pull-ups, bent-arm hangs, Pilates-style abdominal work, yoga, and rock climbing.
In terms of stretching, focus on shoulders, hamstrings, and low back. Working on your straddles and splits is very helpful, but only stretch them when your muscles are warmed up!
Open gym is available to all adult aerialists who are able to work safely and independently. To be approved for open gym usage, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
to schedule an evaluation/orientation during one of our open gym sessions.
You must provide 24 hours notice if you are going to miss a class in order to qualify for a make-up; that gives us time to offer your place to someone else as a drop-in. Makeups can be taken as open gym time (for non-members), or you can arrange to attend a different class with enough advance notice. You may have two make-ups per session. (If you know before the session starts that you will miss classes, you may instead pro-rate up to two classes per session - but your total number of make-ups and pro-rated classes can't be more than 2.) Please use your make-ups during the session if possible, or by the end of the following session if not.
For same-day illnesses or injuries, like that migraine that came on at lunchtime that you just could not foresee, you may use an open gym as a make-up as long as you notify us that you will not be in class.
Note that this policy only holds for regular session classes and does not apply to the Intro to Aerials series. We do not provide make-ups for missed classes in the intro series. If you have to miss a class, you are welcome to schedule a private lesson (at extra cost) to cover the material you missed.
Absence notifications can go to the main VA address (email@example.com) or to your instructor (<name>@versatilearts.net).
If you know in advance that you’ll be gone part of the session, you may pro-rate up to two weeks worth of tuition. Note that you may have a total of two make-ups/pro-rated classes per session - i.e., if you pro-rate two classes, you cannot also take make-ups for further absences.
If you have a Chinook Book coupon for the intro series (which we are not currently offering) you may instead use it to get 25% off a set of 4 of our new ABC classes, which replaced the intro series. Pay for three classes, get the 4th free. Alternately, you may use the coupon to get 25% off a 1-hour private lesson. Please email us
to arrange either of these options and make sure to bring the coupon with you when you come in.
Versatile Arts strives to provide a welcoming environment for everyone who wishes to train with us. Trans-folk, please just let us know how you prefer to be addressed. Our bathrooms are unisex. Regarding age limits, we only discriminate against those under 11 as we are a primarily adult space with a few teen classes. There is no upper age limit and many of our aerialists are over 50! We have not worked with many types of disability but are willing to explore if you are - just know that our main studio is up a flight of stairs but we do have ground-floor studios as well.
If you ever feel unwelcome at VA, for any reason, we want to hear about it.
Below are examples of skills at each of the three levels at VA. The complete list of skills in the VA curriculum, with their level and priority rankings, can be found in the Versatile Arts Skills Tracker. Log in to my.versatilearts.net and select Personal Skills Tracker to access it.
Includes basic aerial techniques, static moves, balances, and simple dynamic skills.
- Rope/Tissu: Wrap and Russian climbs, catcher’s hang, fake flag, single and double foot lock, flying Dutchman, basic hip lock, salto.
- Trapeze: Knee beats, body beats, basket mount, bird’s nest, mermaid, angel, candlestick, gazelle, standing on the bar, hip hang, front balance.
Includes skills that require more strength, coordination, and/or body awareness than in Level 1. Some dynamic skills are at this level but most are in level 3.
- Rope/Tissu: straddle climb, scissor hip lock, windmill (wheeldown), Brazilian eye, aerial dance footlock, angel drop
- Trapeze: Pullovers, rock & roll, montreal, single knee hang, egg in the ropes, amazon, catchers rollup, ankle hang
Level 3 brings in most of the remaining dynamic moves as well as static moves requiring more strength, flexibility, coordination, or pain tolerance than those in level 2.
- Rope/Tissu: rope beats, fancy catcher’s, double star, combination drops (salto star, etc), open dives, belay
- Trapeze: Pullovers, hip circles, forward and backward rolls, ooze/drop to ankles, Russian roll, toe hang
Skills at this level include rollups, release moves, and other advanced dynamic and strength moves. A skill may be deemed level 4 due to any or all of the following: difficulty, risk, pain tolerance, strength, flexibility. Focus at this level is more on endurance, choreography, improvisation, and artistic expression.
- Rope/Tissu: hiplock rollup, pinwheel rollup, pirouette
- Trapeze: single toe hang, back/front/side planche, back circles, pullover to angel
- Open Gym Membership: $85/month. A training membership includes unlimited training during open gym hours.
- Open Gym Membership added to class tuition: $60/month. If you have registered for a regular session-based class, you can add unlimited training during open gym hours at a discounted rate.
- Professional Membership: $165/month. A professional membership includes unlimited training during any time the space is not exclusively reserved for class, plus 50% off group classes. Must be approved by the director. Troupe discounts are available.
- Acro Membership: $80/month: An acro membership gives you 2 hours per week of reserved time in the Blue Room (meaning you get exclusive use unless you choose to let someone else use the space with you) plus unlimited opportunistic use of the space any time it is not otherwise occupied. We have a 24-hour cancellation policy for all prime-time, exclusive room reservations. If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of your prime-time reservation, you will forfeit those rental hours. Prime-time is from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. We have a 12-hour cancellation policy for all other exclusive reservations.
- Dance Membership: $80/month: A dance membership gives you 2 hours per week of reserved time in the Ballroom plus unlimited opportunistic use of the space any time it is not otherwise occupied. We have a 24-hour cancellation policy for all prime-time, exclusive room reservations. If you cancel less than 24 hours before the start of your prime-time reservation, you will forfeit those rental hours. Prime-time is from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. We have a 12-hour cancellation policy for all other exclusive reservations.
Acro and Dance memberships may be shared by training partners/groups who always rehearse together. They do not include any aerial training time or use of the aerial equipment.
Pricing and Payment
Versatile Arts offers prepaid punchcards for open gym visits and drop-in classes. These punchcards are electronic and can be purchased through our online system at https://my.versatilearts.net.
Punchcards are valid for one year from the purchase date. They are non-transferable and non-refundable so please choose carefully!
A 10-punch card is $125 (a 10% savings over drop-in pricing)
One open gym visit == one punch.
Prices below are in effect as of 1/1/2018.
A 24-punch card is $140 (10% savings)
A 36-punch card is $200 (15% savings)
The cost of the class determines how many punches are required. For example, a 1-hour, $20 class requires 3 punches. A 90-min class ($24-26) requires 4 punches.
Payments can be made by any of the following methods:
- Mail a check to Versatile Arts, 7601 Greenwood Ave N, Suite 103, Seattle, WA 98103
- Cash or check delivered to the studio. Please contact us to find out a good time to come by and drop off your payment.
- Credit card payments are accepted via the online registration system. We do request that you pay the 3% fee charged by the credit card processing company; that fee is mandatory for charges over $150.
- PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org. As with credit cards, we appreciate it if you add in the ~3% fee charged by Paypal on all business transactions.
If paying by check, please note what the check is for and which student, if not the person whose name is on the check. Returned checks will incur a $12 fee to cover our bank charge.
All credit card and paypal payments can be made through our online registration system. Go to http://my.versatilearts.net
to set up your login and make payments from the comfort of your own home. If you prefer to use check or cash, those transactions must happen in person or by USMail. NOTE: Only existing VA students can use the online system. Filling out our online release form will add you to our database, after which you can set up your my.versatilearts.net login.
Each session has a pre-registration cut-off date about 4 days before the start of the session. After that date, tuition goes up $10 per class.
Tuition rates vary based on the type and length of class. As of 1/1/2018, rates are:
- $26/class for most 90-minute aerial classes, or $208 for an 8-week session
- $28/class for 90-minute straps classes, or $224 for an 8-week session
- $24/class for 90-minute contortion classes, or $192 per 8-week session
- $24/class for 75-minute youth classes, or $192 per 8-week session
- $22/class for 75-minute handstand classes, or $176 per 8-week session
A non-refundable $50 deposit holds your space in the class. Balance is due on the first day of class.
Drop-ins may be available for session classes as space allows, for an extra $5 drop-in fee.
While most of VA's aerial classes are session-based, we do offer some classes as drop-ins. Pricing is as follows:
- 1-hour: $20
- 90-min: $26
- 2-hour: $32
Session classes may allow drop-ins as space allows and by permission of the instructor, for an additional $5 drop-in fee.
Open gym is always available as a drop-in for $14.
Note that we now offer prepaid punchcards
for drop-in classes and open gym as well.
See the Membership
page for more information about each level. Student membership prices are for 90-minute classes; if you want to take a 2-hour class, add $24 per class to your monthly fee.
- Training Membership: $85/month.
- Open Gym Membership added to class tuition: $60/month.
- Professional Membership: $165/month.
- Acro and Dance memberships: $80/month
- $60/hr for 1 person ($30 for a 30-minute assessment)
- $80/hr for 2 people
- $90/hr for 3 people
- $25/person/hr for 4 or more people
You may pre-pay for lessons, drop-ins, open gym, etc by creating an account with Versatile Arts. Your account will then be debited any time you sign in at the studio, and the system will let you know when your balance is low. These funds never expire.
This is a great way to avoid having to write a lot of checks or enter your credit card number over and over!